You will need
- 175g/6oz self raising flour sifted
- 50g/2oz ground almonds
- 175g/6oz light soft brown sugar
- 175g/6oz softened unsalted butter
- 3 large free range eggs
- 2 tablespoons of milk
- 1 teaspoon of mixed spice
- 2 teaspoon of ground ginger
- 110g/4oz glace cherries roughly chopped
- 110g/4oz dried apricots roughly chopped
- 110g/4oz dried mixed fruit
- 150g/5oz marzipan
For the decoration
- 300g/10oz marzipan
- 2 tablespoons of warmed apricot jam
- 1 large beaten egg yolk
You will need a deep 20cm/8inch round cake tin, greased and double lined with parchment paper.
Pre Heated Oven Temperature Gas Mark 3/160oC
- Place all the ingredients minus the marzipan in either a food mixer or a mixing bowl then using either an electric hand whisk or wooden spoon, beat together well until all the ingredients are well combined.
- Halve the mixture and place one half of it into the prepared cake tin and level the surface, next roll out the 150g of marzipan until it’s the same size as the cake tin and place inside the tin on top of the mixture.
- Take the remaining half of the cake mixture and spoon onto the top of the rolled marzipan, then smooth the surface level.
- Bake the cake for approximately 1 hour and 45 minutes, by which time it should be golden brown and firm to the touch. Another way of testing if the cake is cooked properly is to place a skewer into the centre of the cake; if ready it should come out cleanly with no wet mixture on it.
- Allow the cake to cool in the cake tin and then take out and place on a wire cooling rack to completely cool.
- Preheat your grill as you’ll need it really hot.
- Take the 300g of marzipan for decoration and cut into thirds, using two thirds of the marzipan roll out into a circle the same size as your cake top and with the last third roll into 11 even sized ball shapes.
- Brush the top of your cake with the warmed apricot jam and place the rolled out circle of marzipan on top of the jam.
- Lightly score the marzipan and crimp the edge to make a pretty pattern then brush with the beaten egg yolk, whilst still wet place the marzipan balls around the top edge of the cake and brush also the beaten egg.
- Place under your hot preheated grill until golden brown but be careful and watch it like a hawk, moving it around if one area gets browner than others
- If desired decorate the centre of your cake with the edible flowers such as violets, daisies or pansies
If you made this cake or have any questions then please use the contact us page to get in touch!
A selection of Deep 20cm cake tins can be found below with the ability to buy if you follow the “More Info” buttons