Why not make it as a Mother’s day treat
For the sponge base
- 175grams of Golden Caster Sugar
- 175grams of Unsalted Butter (room temperature)
- 3 Large Eggs beaten (preferably organic or free range)
- 175grams of Self Raising Four (which has been sifted twice)
- 1 teaspoon of Vanilla Extract
For the filling
- Large Punned Of Strawberries (try not to get very large Strawberries) washed and dried
- A couple of tablespoons of Strawberry Conserve
- 600ml of Double Cream
- 2 teaspoons of Golden Caster Sugar
- Few drops of Vanilla Extract
You will also need
Two 20cm Sandwich cake tins, well greased and the bottoms lined with greaseproof paper
Pre heat oven to gas mark 4 (180oC)
- Beat the sugar and caster sugar together until creamy, light and fluffy.
- Add beaten eggs gradually, then add the vanilla extract and gently fold in the twice sifted flour.
- Divide the mixture into your pre-prepared sandwich tins and bake for approximately 20 minutes, allow the cakes to cool in the tins and then take them out and allow to completely cool before filling.
- Spread bottom cake with the conserve and place halves strawberries on top.
- Then whip the cream and caster sugar together until it’s a thick yet spreadable consistency.
- Spread most of the cream on top of your base with the conserve and strawberries on and then place your remaining cake on the top.
- Use the cream you kept back to spread over the top of your cake and decorate with halved strawberries cut side down.
- If mum likes chocolate why not grate some on the top of your cake.
Enjoy! If you made this cake or have any questions then please use the contact us page to get in touch!
For 20cm sandwich cake tins see below:
- Copyright caketins.org.uk 2009 -