Posts Tagged ‘lemon’
- 175g Room Temperature Butter
- 175g Golden Caster Sugar
- 3 Large Eggs At Room Temperature (preferably organic/free range)
- 225g Self Raising Flour sifted
- Zest & Juice Of 3 Un Waxed Lemons (keep separate)
- 100g Golden Caster Sugar (for use as decoration)
Grease and line a 2lb loaf tin with greaseproof paper
Set Oven Temperature to Gas Mark 4/1800C
1) Place your room temperature butter and the 175g of golden caster sugar in a bowl and using either an electric mixer or hand held mixer beat your ingredients until pale, fluffy and light.
2) Add your room temperature eggs into the mix one by one and beat well. It’s important that your ingredients are at room temperature to reduce the likely hood of your mixture curdling, but if that does happen just add a tablespoon of your flour to the cake mixture, add in your lemon zest only and mix well.
3) Gently fold in your sifted flour and put the cake mixture into your prepared 2lb loaf tin, then and place gently into your oven.
4) Mix the lemon juice and 100g Golden caster sugar together and leave in a warm place.
5) Bake for approximately 45 minutes until golden brown and beautifully risen, to test if your cake is cooked insert a skewer into the cake, if it come out cleanly then your cake is ready but if it come out with cake mixture on it, then your cake needs a little longer to bake.
6) As soon as your cake is cooked and out of the oven whilst it is still hot and still in its loaf tin pierce your cake all over, then take your warmed mixed up lemon juice and sugar syrup and spoon over your hot cake. Allow the cake to cool in its tin before you removed your cake